Sunday 12 July 2009

Adopted for blessing


A reflection on Ephesians 1 v 3-14

Towards the end of my second pregnancy, I can recall the terror I felt when it hit me that soon I would be responsible for another tiny bundle of humanity. I simply couldn't conceive how I could possibly love two little human beings. Would my love for this new arrival somehow rob my firstborn of something that was rightfully his? I had no concept, no experience of how love can grow and be all encompassing. And still, it is something that can't be explained but is something that happens nonetheless.
In hindsight, I did know it then, even if I couldn't articulate it.
I had experienced it in the amazing love of God.
But, even if I had been able to make the connection, its unlikely that I would have believed that humans are capable of such love - or anything near it.
This passage, in Ephesians, speaks of the blessings God showers on us by adopting us, by loving us, by making us family.

not because we are deserving
but because God loves.
not because we are attractive or intelligent or even amusing
but because God delights in calling us beloved.
before time began
before the clay was dry
God decreed that we would be his children.
you.
and me.
there's no end to God's love,
no limits
we can never be too dull
or too smart
too handsome
or too gross
in fact, there's no escape
God loves us
and calls us family.
Blessed are we.


1 comment:

Thom M. Shuman said...

What marvelous writing, Liz! I am glad I found your blog.